Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Parents Visit Schweinfurt!


Should you trust a hospital with this in front?

So my parents came to visit me (and to see some more Europe) the first 10 days in October.  I was excited to show them Schweinfurt and some of Bavaria.  After following my careful directions on taking the train they arrived in Schweinfurt on a Saturday afternoon.  I took Dad for a walk around Schweinfurt and he really seemed to like the town.  We then all went out to the Brauhaus for a traditional German dinner of Schnitzel, pommes frites, and bier (basically fried pork, french fries, and beer).  The next 24 hours became a little bit dramatic with mom taking a trip to the German hospital and having a little surgery...but no worries, everyone was fine and 24 hours later we were all sitting outside in the main square of Schweinfurt having a nice dinner together!


Main square in Schweinfut.  Brauhaus on back right.

Rathaus (town hall) in Bamberg.


On Monday I took them by the clinic, showed them around the post (including my hovel of a barracks room I currently call home).  We then took a 30 minutes train to Bamberg.  It was a gorgeous day and Bamberg is a really cute town!  With the drama of the weekend, I didn't have a chance to do much research in preparing for the Bamberg trip.  Luckily it is a really cute town so we were able to fill a half a day eating lunch and just exploring.  Mom was a trooper, though I think we wore her out a bit! 

That night, after getting back to Schweinfurt, Emily joined us and we tried out an Italian restaurant for dinner.  Also had delicious food!  The next day the parents left Schweinfurt and headed down to Munich/Salzburg.  I'll later blog on my next weekend with the parents when we went to Switzerland!
Dad and I in Bamberg on his birthday!

River in Bamberg

Parents exploring the rose garden in Bamberg

Old roof in Bamberg

Old church in Bamberg

No comments:

Post a Comment