Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Under The Tuscan Sun

So I'm about 5 weeks behind on this whole blogging thing.  Obviously something that is not one of my strenths!  I've been so busy with work, projects, and traveling I hardly have a free moment when I dont want to pass out!  So here's what I'm going to do...I'm gonna finish talking about the Italy trip, then I'm going to go backwards in time starting with my most recent trip.

The pics from the Cinque Terre hike don't do it justice!  The hike was grueling!  Lots of stairs, rocky ledges, bridges, and more stairs!  We could have taken a train between some of the town, but since Sarah did it 3 years ago I felt some pride and couldn't wimp out!  We finished, though we were so tired and gross we wondered if it was the right decision at the time.  Now looking back on it we are so happy we powered through and did it!  Definately something to check off the "life goals list" and never have to do again!

The next day, after the hike, we left Cinque Terre and headed back to Florence in the very early morning hours.  Since the Tuscany bike tour we had planned a few days prior had been cancelled due to rain, this was the only day we could do it. 

We started by taking a van ride out into the country side.  We toured a castle with a vinyard where they still make wine and olive oil.  Of course there was a tasting!  Then we got fitted on our bikes and it was off into the Tuscan countryside!  We rode on the street, and luckily Italian drivers (though they drive fast and crazy) really do respect bikers on the road.  The first time a car comes flying past you is a little unnerving, but you get use to it.  Going up hill was really difficult for me, because I'm weak, but soaring down hill with the wind blowing looking out over the vinyards and sunflower fields was amazing!  We spent an entire day riding around and stopping to eat!  It was fabulous!

After the bike tour we headed back to Florence, it was about 5pm.  Emily and I had reservations on an overnight train from Florence to Munich at like 10pm that night.  Now we know riding all day on a bike and getting on an overnight train may not sound like the best idea, since we didn't have a place to get cleaned up.  So we did as the Europeans do...go smelly!  Haha!  Ok, I'm only kinda kidding, we tried to clean up in a restroom sink, but we were still pretty gross.  We spent a lot of time that evening sitting on the steps of the Duomo looking pretty rough, I'm pretty sure some people though we were like homeless college students or something.
Wine Cellar at the Castle

Looking out on beautiful tuscany!



Wine tasting!


We're pretty much becoming professional bike riders by now!

Grapes!

Ok, so if you've read Twilight, you will understand why I was excited to see this sign!  Volterra does exist!

After a long day of bike riding it was time to enjoy one last Italian pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment