Sunday, September 19, 2010

It's been a long time....

So I know it's been like a million years since I've blogged.  Two reasons:  1. I have been so incredibly busy traveling, seeing patients, and more traveling I've hardly had time to sleep, let alone blog.  2.  I forgot my username and password because I'm an idiot.

I have a lot of catching up blogs to do over the next few days, so I'm just going to try to go in order from memory of where I left off.  Seriously, a ridiculous amount of stuff has happened!  It has gone from like summer to fall.  The leaves are starting the slightest hint of changing and I can see my breath in the mornings/evenings!  I'm getting use to the Army, though I am still not a fan of the PT that goes on at the drill field about 20 feet from my window.  Clinic is good, I've gotten to do some school screenings at different bases, and am seeing patients on other days. 

Boooo clinic!  Now to the good part....TRAVELING!

So one day a few weeks ago I was getting to the point I needed some alone time (which I get like NONE of here).  Everybody wanted to go to Munich for 1 night to get some special train pass and go to Dachau concentation camp.  Since I was just there a few weeks ago I decided this would be a good opportunity for a day trip by myself!  The night before I got out my little Germany book and looked for places that sounded interesting to me.  I decided on a place called Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  It's an extremely well preserved medieval town in Bavaria which also has a HUGE Christmas store/museum!  So I got up the next morning and set out on my 2.5 hour trek. 


Adorable streets of Rothenburg!  The whole town was like this!

The town did NOT disappoint!  It was a cool but gorgeous day (which always helps!)!!!  I spent a lot of time just wondering the absolutly picturesque streets and sitting on steps watching people.  I went to the Kathe Wolfhart Christmas store and Christmas museum.  So this wasn't just a shop, this store was like an entire experience!  It was so amazing decorated with GIANT Christmas trees and twinkling lights in the ceiling to look like stars, I felt like a small child in one of those magical Christmas wonderlands!  However, this was not cheap and cheezy looking, this was truly amazing, and I got lost wondering around the place several times (I think they want you to do that so you'll buy more).  I bought a couple things of course!

Outside Christmas store.  Unfortunately you couldn't take pics inside.
I went in a pretty church and walked along the old walls to the city.  You can actually walk ON the walls, which was kinda cool. 

Walking along the old wall of the city.
So I kept seeing this things in the bakery windows that looked like the tops of muffins or some sort of round pastry.  But like nothing I had ever seen before.  When I finally went into a bakery to get a closer look at these strange, but delicious looking food, the lady just asked me "which one do you want".  Though I had no intention of eating one when I walked into the shop, I reflexively pointed to one that said "limon".  She wrapped it up and I was on my way down the street with a "Schneeballen".  Apparently they are famous for the pastry-like treat.  It is like a flaky pastry/cookie/candy covered in icing/chocolate/powdered sugar/cinnamon or whatever.  I mean what's not to like....

Schneeballen in the windows.  They were everywhere!
I wandered into a "Medieval Crime and Punishment" museum only because it was just 2 euros and it had a nice clean bathroom (difficult to come by in Europe).  I quickly walked through, so I saw a lot of old weapons and stuff.  Kinda weird, but I can do whatever I wanted.

Can I just say that while I love traveling with my friends, I also LOVED doing whatever I wanted to do.  If I was hungry I ate, if I wanted to sit on the steps of the town hall for 30 minutes watching people I did that, if I wanted to wonder in the Christmas museum reading the little signs at my own pace, I did!  It was just so nice (and efficient) to do what I want without a care, worry, or time frame in mind!
Part of the old city walls on a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment