Thursday, September 30, 2010

Arriving in Monterosso!

Cinque Terre means "5 towns".  They are on the Mediterranean (northish western) coast of Italy and are known for being beautiful and charming.  There is also an intense hike between the towns with allows for breathtaking views!  This was the one place I really wanted to go since I did not get here on my Italy study abroad 5 year ago.  So just Emily and I decided to go.  We chose to stay in the northern most town, Monterosso, because it is the only town with a beach!
Emily took this one when I didn't know it. I like sneaky pics!
Storm is rollin in!

Our little hotel room.  Basic but good.

Beach in Monterosso.

Emily dipping her feet in the Mediterraean for the first time!  It was cold!


This reminds me of my cat, Belle, and their were cat's in the window!

We arrived mid afternoon, walked around, had some gelato by the sea, dipped our toes in the water, and had a really good sit-down dinner!  Our hotel was like 50 meters (1 block in) from the beach and near some restaurants.  It was basic, but clean and big enough.  The only downside it was near the train tracks where the trains slowed down, so every now and then there was a terrible screeching sound.  After dinner we were tired so we did a totally loserish thing, but it was so relaxing...we got a bottle of local red wine, went back to our hotel, and just read.  Afterall, we had to rest up for the epic hike we were doing the next day (next blog post!).

No comments:

Post a Comment